Everyone knows that food is costly. People spend hundreds to even thousands of dollars every month just to keep the fridge and pantry stocked. While people know what they are paying to get their food, many don’t realize how much goes to waste.
The inherent nature of food is to spoil. It only stays fresh for so long after you bring it home from the supermarket. If you don’t use it soon, you lose your goods entirely and all that money ends up in the trash. Fortunately, though, there are quite a few tips and tricks out there to keep your food game running strong.
If you’re tired of watching all your hard-earned money go straight to the landfill, you’re going to love this list. Here are 35 ways you can keep your food fresh longer and more money in your pocket.
1. Use a paper towel to keep lettuce fresh
2. Bananas like to be in bundles
3. Keep an apple with your potatos
4. Just don’t keep apples with other fruits
5. Soak your berries in vinegar
For a full tutorial, check out this farmer’s secret to keeping berries fresh. You can always trust a farmer when it comes to food hacks.
6. Keep tomatoes on the counter
7. Use foil to keep celery fresh longer
8. Keep herbs like a bouqet
9. Or just freeze them
10. Mushrooms keep better in paper
If you keep them in a paper bag too long, they may become dry but you can easily replump them with a quick rinse in water.
11. Let your avocados ripen on the counter
12. Keep your onions in stockings
13. Keep raisins in an airtight container
14. Rejuvenate your greens with ice water
15. Keep chopped veggies fresh in a jar of water
16. Coat squash in oil
17. Stand asparagus bundles in water
18. Same goes for your green onions
19. Keep garlic in an open container
20. Keep fish on ice
21. Keep meat in its original packaging
22. Freeze your flours
23. Use whole coffee beans
24. Keep a Bay leaf in your bulk foods
25. Keep bread on the counter
26. Put your dry goods in an airtight container
27. Keep salt from clumping with rice
28. Rejuvenate brown sugar with a marshmellow
29. Warm your honey
30. Wrap cheese in waxpaper
31. Don’t keep milk in the door of your fridge
32. Keep cottage cheese and sour cream upside down
33. Keep butter in its packaging
34. Pre-cut fruits and veggies
35. Shop local
Join your friends or be the first to like our page
There is no good reason to waste money by letting your food spoil. Hopefully these tips will keep you stocked in fresh eats and save you boat loads of cash in the process. Please SHARE this with your friends and family. If you like what you learned, make sure to check out this article on 40 gadgets that will make life in your kitchen a breeze!