Warning: This article may contain disturbing images that may upset our sensitive readers.
It was just a normal day in the sun for 3-year-old Kaleigh Miller and her mother Sabrina. After snacking on some limes, little Kaleigh went to play out in the sun. A little while later her face began to turn red with a burning sensation and marble size blisters started forming. Her Mother Sabrina had no idea what was happening to her daughter, naturally, panic took over.
Before long, the blisters had erupted all over the toddlers face.
So what happened to the little trooper? Phytophotodertmititis more commonly known as – “margarita burn.” This is a widely unknown chemical reaction that takes place when the citrus from lime is exposed to sunlight.
It can also be triggered by the citrus in foods like lemon, celery, parsley, and fennel.
“She would look at herself in the mirror and say ‘why is this happening to me?’ I was just kind of traumatized, I was like crying my eyes out, whats going on with her?” said her mother Sabrina.
Luckily the burns were not serious enough to leave permanent scars and Kaleigh is all healed up. Through it all, the 3-year-old kept a smile and in the end offered these words
“I can’t play with limes in the sunshine,” the little girl said.
Would You Still Make Margaritas – If You Could End Up With Second Degree Burns?
When you think about limes, you think of refreshing drinks and savory foods, not 2nd-degree burns. Tell that to pharmacy technician Elinda Xavier was making homemade margaritas in the sun when she noticed a burning sensation in her hands. before long her hands erupted into 2nd-degree burns, blisters and a whole lot of pain.
Limes contain an ingredient that makes them photosensitizers when exposed to sunlight, this causes a chemical reaction that leads to the burns. This chemical is called Furocoumarin.
“I am shocked that this is even a thing”
Xavier told Inside Edition. She started documenting the burns on social media to try to spread some awareness about the bizarre condition.
“Then Facebook censored my posts because they were so horrific.”
The pain was unbearable.
“If you’ve ever scalded your hand under hot water, or steam, or anything like that. Thats what it was like, except for a constant,” said Xavier.
“Margarita Burn” starts by turning the affected area red, followed by itching, burning and in most cases blistering. Less severe cases can usually be treated with Tylenol, cool compresses, hydrocortisone creams very similar to treating poison ivy or other rashes. In severe cases, a trip to the doctor is necessary as infection can be common.
“They were amazing, I will not do it again though, I think I’ve learned my lesson,” said Xavier when asked how the margaritas were.
Thankfully, both pharmacy technician Elinda Xavier and 3-year-old Kaleigh are doing much better.
Please share this story on Facebook to help prevent this from happening to anyone else.
Watch the video below to learn more about what happened to Kaleigh and ‘margarita burn.’
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.
Follow your friends or be the first to join our group
Source: Inside Edition